FC

St-Pauls-Logo-Black-Background-51pxH Facebook-Round-Icon-35px Twitter-Round-Icon-35px Youtube-Round-Icon-2-35px

HISTORY

 

The United St James's and St Paul's Boys School opened in 1846 at 34 Union Street, St Helier in Jersey. Two years later in 1848, the school split, with the St. Paul's Boys School adopting the principles of the National Society for the Education of the Poorer Classes.

 

There were approximately fifty pupils to one master, which meant that a cascade approach to teaching had to be adopted, i.e. the master would concentrate on the brighter pupils who would then pass on their knowledge to their less gifted peers.

 

In 1851, St Paul's Girls School opened its doors at the Dicq, Greve D'Azette. Within ten years, the two schools combined as St Paul's school, at the Union Street site.

 

History - St Paul's Centre

By 1869 the same year that mains water arrived in St Helier, there were some 180 boys, 150 girls and 80 infants at the school, which only consisted of three rooms and two classrooms.

 

At that time, Rev Robert Douglas purchased a plot of land directly opposite the Chapel in New Street, upon which a new building was erected, at a cost of £2,000, completed in 1871.

 

With a significant male influence within the school, a lot of emphasis was placed upon sports activities amongst the boys. As a result, a group of choristers from the school formed St Paul's Football Club.

 

To this day, the club still uses the crossed swords of the St. Paul's flag as its' emblem, along with the School's motto 'Per Laborem Ad Honorem' (through work to honour).

History - St Pauls Badge

St Paul's Centre

St Paul's Badge

St Paul's has had many excellent footballers over the years, including prominent individuals such as Ricky Weir, former President of the Jersey Football Association, and of course Graeme Le Saux, former Chelsea and England player. The club continues to attract top talent within the island and is well positioned to maintain its success for years to come.